Search This Blog

Monday, October 27, 2014

The Key to Understanding the Meaning of Life

       There are two ways to understand the world: literally and literally. There is no figurative component to understanding. Some people achieve literary understanding through science, others through religion, some from common sense and cold hard facts. However, I believe the key to understanding “the meaning of life” , as the question has been posed, is embedded in literature.
       Literature, is the greatest love of my life. I know. What a dork? But it's true. Even music falls second to my passion for words. Drawing from that passion, I believe that to understand a well written piece, or even a poorly written piece for that matter, is to understand life. When ever you read something, you must know that it is a big long line of thought. You follow directly a small portion of the exact thoughts another person was thinking. When you can understand the inter workings of another human's brain, or even just a small part of it, and then relate it to the similar thoughts you think in your brain, you are understanding a significant piece of life.
       In science or mathematics, this piece of life could be understood by experimentation, data, and equations. In religion, it could be understood by passages of a holy book or visions from God or gods. In literature, that piece of life is understood by you. I don't deny the value of science and math and religion in the understanding of life. It is impossible for us to understand it all on our own. But when we read, be can understand small parts of our world by connecting others' thoughts to our own and others' around us. I think that's valuable. To be able to take a piece of the earth, hold it in your hands and say, “I understand”.
       Music is just another way of writing. In a similar way, we can follow the direct thoughts and feelings of a composer by dissecting their work. Music can almost provide a deeper understanding, as it connects emotions more than thoughts. To understand thought is a victory, but to understand emotion is nearly impossible. Understanding musical thought is complex, and requires a deep knowledge of theory, that I don't possess. I don't understand music as deeply as I understand literature, and even my understanding of literature is just scraping the surface.
       So what is the meaning of life then? And how can it be found within the pages of a book or the stanzas of a poem?



       I'll tell you when I finish reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment