Search This Blog

Monday, March 16, 2015

Pondering Happiness as a Need



       Why am I so excited about my tiny coloring book? I don't know. And, quite frankly, I don't care to know, because if I just avoid the question I can avoid the fact that it may be a little weird and childish to enjoy a coloring book so flipping much-EVEN THOUGH IT IS DESIGNED AND MARKETED FOR ADULTS.

       I think it's probably because it is small, efficient, and for all intents and purposes, perfect. My pocket sized coloring book provides hours of the same simple task, resulting in a multitude of beautiful results. It's easy, and fun, and cute, and colorful, and I will argue, also, that it helps me listen better in class. However, the real reason I love it, is because it's stress free and it's fun, two emotional experiences not felt nearly as often as they should among humans.

       I find it strange that I could find such immense happiness (no exaggeration) in a 4x6 in coloring book, that cost eight dollars, yet, some people need giant houses, expensive cars, and lavish parties to get at the same feeling. Now, I don't think I'm superior to anyone because I can find happiness in a coloring book (it's really more embarrassing than it is impressive), but it does make me curious. What kind of shift are we seeing in the acquisition of “happiness” among our population today? Is it even a shift at all?

       Would a fancy car make me any happier than my tiny coloring book? And, if I'm perfectly satisfied with an eight dollar coloring book, what is event he purpose of pursing that fancy car purely for the purpose of “happiness”? In life, there are wants and there are needs, and the line between the two is becoming blurred as people find themselves viewing happiness as a need. That need has evolved over the years, and I am both curious and afraid to see how it will evolve further in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment