Search This Blog

Monday, December 22, 2014

A Breath of Fresh Air

       Well it seems that for the billionth time in my life, I have put off an assignment until the last minute. Yes, I am going to be blunt: I have put off writing both my required, 400 word blog posts, until the very night that they are due. I have exactly three hours to complete them. Let's start the clock.

       Because I have succumbed to my irresponsible teenage nature, I feel I must also muster up an excuse. This week I've been writing an absolute bear; a post for a blog that is not mine. The idea of writing for a foreign audience outside of my domain made me really nervous, so much so, that I re wrote the darn thing three times. That's not revision folks. I completely started from scratch three times.

       Ps. That is a shitty way to go about writing.

       However, the combination of my new and nerve wracking experience, as well as my procrastination, has made me realize something really valuable:

       I really love to write.

       Racing to write 800 words isn't stressful for me. The fact that I have to write it all in three hours, doesn't phase me either. Among the piles and piles of homework I receive, primarily AP US History, blogging is a breath of fresh air.

       In high school, all the classes you hate are required, and it makes it hard to discover your passions. Then, when you do discover what you love, the unnecessary busy work from all your other classes makes it hard to pursue that passion.

       Ray Bradbury says this of writing, and I think it applies to the pursuit of anything you love:


 “You must write every single day of your life. You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads. May you be in love for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.”



       In my blogs, I may not have the opportunity to remake worlds. In my homework drowned life, I may not have time to write every single day. But in my blogs, a small part of what I love doing is achieved. I get to write, plain and simple. To me, that is the most satisfying and freeing assignment I could ever receive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment